Ottawa County Towns & Places – Past Dreams, Present Reality
This is a listing of the many towns and places that have been, over the years, very important in Ottawa County’s history. Some no longer exist. Some are still here, but only as a name that most people do not recognize the importance of. A few still exist with new names that our ancestors would not recognize. And there are some that have had the same name throughout their existence.
Anchorville – Portage Township, Plasterbed area. The mines & mills mentioned in a 1907 news item lead Grace Luebke to believe that Anchorville was in Portage Township, Plasterbed area.
Alexander Sand Bar/Alexander Point – Southeast point of Marblehead Peninsula. Bay Point.
Bark Inn Curve – A sharp curve on State Route 2 in Carroll Twp. near Davis Besse. The scene of may automobile accidents. Bark Inn was a popular tavern on the inside part of the curve. It burned down in 1955 and the curve has been “softened” extensively since that time.
Bay Point – First known as Alexander Sand Bar. A summer cottage/condo area at south eastern point of Marblehead Peninsula. It was a ferry dock for Interurban passengers going to Sandusky 1911-1926. Circa 1860, cut off by water and known as Spit Island.
Benton – A square mile in Benton Township bounded by Elliston and Graytown Roads. 1860s & 1870’s.
Blackberry Corner – In Benton Township, Elliston-Trowbridge Road & Williston Road (Route 579). Dates to the early 1880s. It had store, blacksmith shop, school, & church. School building is still there as Blackberry Corners Restaurant/bar.
Bobalo – An area along the mouth of the Toussaint River at Lake Erie.
Brooklyn – An early addition to Port Clinton, apparently along the river or lake west of downtown.
Brooklyn – A wealthy residential area in Oak Harbor, south of Water Street & east of Locust
Bull’s Island – Became Johnson Island after L.B. Johnson purchased Bull’s Island in 1852 and renamed it Johnson Island. Location of a Civil War prison camp & Cemetery. Site of Pleasure Resort 1894-1902. Dance pavilion burned. Another hotel & pavilion existed from 1904-1908, then being bought out by Cedar Point Resort.
Butler – Village in Benton Township in existence prior to Ottawa County being formed in 1840. Benton Township formed in 1851. The name appears to have been changed to Graytown in 1874 when Graytown was founded by A.W, Cutler & J.R. Cutler.
Camp Perry – Located in Erie Twp north of SR 2 at the northern terminus of SR 358. Established prior to WW I as an Ohio National Guard training site. Housed German and Italian POW’s during WW II. Still active and the site of the National Rifle Matches.
Cedar Bank – East of Oak Harbor on Portage River. Just east or slightly beyond the bends in the river where river runs almost directly north & south. Site of old 2 story log house thought to have been an old block house or trading post. Many early pioneer dances held here. Named for the 3 feet diameter cedar trees in area. A 3-4 mile “railway” went from here to Toussaint River area to move timber to Couche Mill.
Clay Center – Founded in 1871 by William Clark who bought wooded property here in 1863. Named Clay Center because it was the center of Clay Township at the time. Post Office first established January 15, 1872. Stone quarry. There was an interchange here between the Toledo, Port Clinton & Lakeside Railway and the Toledo Southern. Toledo Southern went into the quarry.
Clark’s Ridge – Area around the intersection of Walbridge East and Genoa-Clay Center Roads. Location of former Allen Central School and now an Allen Twp. park.
Cover Hall – Meeting place in the 1830’s and 1840’s in Carroll Township at the corner of Cover and North Toussaint South Roads.
Crosby’s Beach – An amusement park at Locust Point was first known as Crosby’s Beach.
Curtice – Founded by Joshua E. Curtice in 1882 along the W&LE Railroad. Curtice purchased 500 acres of wooded property for lumber manufacturing. Post Office established April 5, 1882. There was a W&LE and Toledo, Port Clinton & Lakeside Railway interchange here.
Curticeville – Founded before Curtice, it was roughly an area along Billman Road in Allen Township north of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern railway for about two miles up to Walbridge East Road. There is a cemetery on Billman Rd. where it crosses Crane Creek. Next to the cemetery was the first school in Allen Twp. built in 1868. The building was moved across the road and made into a garage. Joshua Curtice had a saw mill in the area before moving it north to a village he named Curtice in 1882.
Danbury – Danbury Station – Early Sandusky Bay port for both freight & passenger boats. Shipping point for local fruit crops and quarry output. LS&MS Railroad interchange to the Lakeside & Marblehead Railroad.
DeLery Portage – Foot path (portage) between Sandusky Bay and Lake Erie. From near the site of Fort Sandoski (French fort) on Sandusky Bay to Lake Eire, just east of downtown Port Clinton. The area on Lake Erie is also the end of the Scioto Indian Trail that connected Cincinnati to Lake Erie. The portage is named for Frenchman Joseph DeLery who was in the area in 1754.
Dogtown – The area near Rieman & Holt-Harrigan Roads in Clay ‘Township. Was named for a large pack of dogs which always accompanied a resident bachelor farmer.
Duby or Duby Town – an area in Port Clinton on West Perry St south of the river. Named for several families named Duby that lived there.
Eagle Island – In Section 24, Bay Township. Its 144.42 acres have disappeared beneath the waters of Sandusky Bay.
East Clinton – Platted in 1872. Bounded by Second Street, Fulton Street, Lake Street, & the railroad in present day Port Clinton. It was annexed to Port Clinton after 1875
Eber – Former name of Trowbridge. On Elliston-Trowbridge Road, north of Trowbridge Road at the single track railroad track. Post Office established June 29, 1882 and lasted until August 28, 1888. Trowbridge Post Office opened in August, 1888.
Erie Gardens – World War II residential area for workers and families on the west side of Port Clinton, south of Riverview Cemetery. Still recognizable by the single story military style buildings.
Erie Proving Grounds/Erie Ordinance Depot/Erie Army Depot – A large military ordinance depot in Erie Twp. Very active until closed in the mid 1960’s
Elliston – Area settled by the 1860s. Most likely started in the 1850s along the railroad tracks. Post Office established March 12, 1872.
Elmore – Platted in 1851 by John H. Foster when the Toledo, Norwalk & Cleveland built though an existing residential area on the Portage River. Post Office established June 26, 1852.
Erie – Post Office for the town of Carroll. It was established February 10, 1873 and lasted until March 16, 1875. In May, 1875, both town & post office re-named Lacarne.
Erie Beach – On the Marblehead Peninsula, west of the Lakeside Association fence. Swimming, sailing, picnics. Pavilion became a popular dance hall in the 1920s.
Esquimaux Bay – The water at the end of Catawba Island at Catawba Point. An 1874 newspaper advertising the town/lots of Ottawa City said it was “beautifully situated on Esquimaux Bay”. North of the fruit docks at Catawba Point. – Esquimaux is the plural of Esquimau referring to the Eskimo or Inuit in the Labrador, Canada area.
Fishack – Fishshack – A group of houses built @1910 by the Fishack Gypsum Company, ½ mile northwest of Gypsum. Was an area where State Road & Route now intersect. Area is still known as Fishack.
Fletcherville – About 2 ½ miles southwest of Gypsum, near Port Clinton. Between Lockwood Road & the Sandusky Bay. Was where the Granite Wall Plaster Company was located in 1899.
Forest Park – An amusement park and dance hall built in 1921 near the old community of Hickory Corners/Hickory in Clay Township. On present day Route 51 northwest of Genoa near the Hellwig Road & Reiman Road intersection.
Frankfurt/Frankfort – Section 23, Benton Township, on the W&LE railroad line near Limestone. East of Route 590 at railroad. It was platted in 1882. By 1888 all but 5 lots had been vacated.
Frenchtown – Area in Carroll Township around Velliquette Road, Duff-Washa Road, Lickert Harder Road. Named for the many French settlers & descendants who lived in the area. Post Office established April 3, 1903 closed March 31, 1905.
Gem Beach – Beach, Picnic Grove, Dance Hall & Roller Skating Rink. On the east side of Catawba Island. Presently Gem Beach Marina.
Genevieve – Thought to be in Section 11, Carroll Township along the Toussaint River. In 1868 it had a store, smithy, boot shop, & 50’x20’ Public Hall.
Genoa – Named Stony Station until 1857. Was to be named Venice because it was surrounded by streams, bogs, & mud similar to Venice, Italy. Due to clerical error, it was recorded as, and name changed to, Genoa. Genoa Post Office established March 7, 1854. The village was incorporated as Genoa in 1868. Interchange between the LS&MS Southern Division & the Toledo, Port Clinton & Lakeside Railway.
Germantown – Germanville – Thought to be in Danbury Township near St. Paul Lutheran Church on Church Road. Germantown had a Post Office 1855-1857 & 1866-1867.
Gibraltar Island – Named for Spain’s Gibraltar. Jay Cooke’s Castle (House) is on island.
Giddings Monument – War of 1812 monument on the Marblehead Peninsula. Lists U.S. causalities of a battle between U.S. and British allied Native Americans.
Goose Hill – Site of present day airport north of Gypsum. Carl Keller Field. Eire-Ottawa-Sandusky Regional Airport. Eire-Ottawa Regional (International) Airport.
Graytown – Founded in 1874 by A.W. Cutler & J.R. Cutler. On Graytown Road, north of Route 163, at the double track railroad tracks. Timber, stone quarry, farming. There was a Graytown Post Office October 9, 1855-December 6, 1862 & reopened August 19, 1878. (Named? – Because of smoke from train engines?)
Green Island – Once known as Moss Island. Noted for the strontian crystals that were mined from the 1820s to about 1898. Currently the island is a wildlife refuge.
Grodi Corner– Benton Township at Graytown Road & Williston Road (Route 2). Store, gas station, restaurant. Curve in the road, later, the Pink Elephant (road house) was located.
Grow’s Dock/Grant’s Dock – On Lake Erie, east of Rt. 19. 1860s & 1870s.
Gypsum – Small residential area to serve the gypsum mines. On the double track railroad north of the mines in Portage Township. Near the airport. Post Office established April 22, 1873.
Hallville – North side of Portage River, Salem Township. About 1 mile east of Port Oleron toward Hartford (Oak Harbor). Platted in late 1830s by Joseph Hall who offered inducements to locate the county seat here.
Hallsville – South side of Portage River in Section 24, in the southeast corner of Harris Township, about 2 ½ miles south of the river. Platted in early 1830s. Plat map shows 85 acres in lots, streets, alleys, & a Public Square.
Hamburg – Possible Post Office in Portage Township?
Harrison’s Crossing – Between Elmore & Oak Harbor on the Portage River?
Hartford – First name of Oak Harbor from 1835 to 1863. 61 lots platted on the north bank of the Portage River in 1835 by Joseph Wardlow. Became Oak Harbor in 1863.
Hat Island – Present day Mouse Island. Located just off the end of the Catawba Island peninsula. (Privately owned) President Rutherford B. Hayes owned island at one time and had his “Summer White House” on the island.
Hickory Corners – Hickory – A community in Clay Township on present day Route 51 northwest of Genoa near the Hellwig Road & Reiman Road intersection. Near the old Forest Park Amusement Park (1921) location.
Hickory Grove – Small residential area on Sandusky Bay, east of Fulton Street, south of East Lockwood Road. Portage Township.
Hineline – Post Office in Ottawa County. Possible Bay Township? Post Office April 1, 1891 to January 15, 1892.
Holt’s Corner – Near and just northwest of Genoa on Route 51 near Holt-Harrican Road & Holts East Road intersection. It first was a house built in 1854 by Harvey Warriner and bought by Frank Holt in 1868. Eating & lodging with ballroom and Post Office. Many evenings of dancing & entertainment here. Rebuilt after 1920 tornado. Moved to Main Street. In 1965. There was an interchange between two interurban lines here. The Lake Shore Electric & the Toledo, Port Clinton & Lakeside Raiway
Ingrahm’s Crossing – Possible near Ingrahm General Store in Curtice?
Interurban Place – Was in Section 18, Harris Township. Possibly on north side of Elmore near the Interurban line. Platted in 1906 and contained 12 acres.
Isle St. George – Also known as Bass Island #3. Present day North Bass Island. Named for a man named George who was a hermit that lived there. Isle St. George Post Office established March 2, 1874.
Jamestown – Area in Marblehead near the intersection of West Main and James Streets. Originally owned by John James and Orrin Follett. Area donated to Marblehead in 1930 as James Park.
Johnson Island – L.B. Johnson purchased Bull’s Island in 1852 and renamed it Johnson Island. Location of a Civil War prison camp. Site of Pleasure Resort 1894-1902. Dance pavilion burned. Another hotel & pavilion existed from 1904-1908, then being bought out by Cedar Point Resort. Island had a Post Office May 6, 1904 to July 31, 1905.
Keith Mills – In Benton Township, on Route 2, west of Route 590. Mr. Keich (correct spelling) had a saw mill and store there. Left in 1890s after timber cut off.
Kenneman Beach – First known as Crosby’s Beach, then Kenneman Beach, and finally Locust Point. In Carroll Township near the mouth of Turtle Creek.
Kilgrubbin – Danbury Township residential area on SR 163 between Lakeside and Marblehead, near Cedar and Poplar Avenue. Small housing development for European quarry workers built about 1900.
Kramer – Near Limestone. Post Office January 25, 1886 to March 27, 1887. (Note the spelling is different from the Kraemer family in Oak Harbor.)
Krausville – A neighborhood roughly at the intersection of Krause Rd and Stange Rd. in northern Benton Twp. Occasional articles of neighborhood news from Krausville were published in the Exponent in 1907.
LaCarne – First named Carroll. The railroad station was called “Carroll”. The post office, established in 1873, was called “Erie”. Carroll was platted in 1873. Both names were changed to Lacarne in May, 1875. Post Office as LaCarne opened March 17, 1875.
Lakeside – Started as a religious residential retreat. Lakeside Methodist Chautauqua was established in 1873. Post Office opened January 10, 1887 and closed December 31, 1964, reopening the next day as Lakeside-Marblehead Post Office.
Leatherport – North side of Portage River, Harris Township. Was 2 ½ miles east of Elmore. At the end of Graytown Road & Route 105. A man named Wallace had a tannery & blacksmith shop built in the 1840s and this gave the area its name. Leatherport was 1 mile east of Whitestown.
Limestone – Benton Township, Rocky Ridge Road & Toussaint North Road. Stone quarries, timber, oil wells, school, general store, farm implement store, cemetery. Started about 1882 when W&LE Railroad came through the area. Post Office opened March 28, 1887.
Little Pittsburgh – Also known as White City. On the east side of Catawba Island on the shoreline northeast of Peachton. Summer retreat for Pittsburgh families.
Linker’s Curve – a curve on SR 105 midway between Graytown Rd and Elliston-Trowbridge Rds. Scene of a serious streetcar accident in 1907.
Lockwood – Row of company houses that were on South Lockwood Road, in Portage Township.
Locust Point – Carroll Township, north of Route 2, near the mouth of Turtle Creek. It had a Post Office 1858-1903. Beach, picnic area, pavilion, and amusement park with Merry-Go-Around. (Former Crosby’s Beach) Many excursions in the 1860s & 1870s, from here to Put-In-Bay.
Long Beach – In Carroll Township along Lake Eire between Humphrey Road & Russell Road.
Long’s Crossing – Harris Township, Section 10. A Portage River crossing about 3 miles east of Elmore. About where Hessville-Portage Road ends at the Portage River. (See 1900 Ottawa County Atlas.)
Long’s Crossing – Clay Township, area around where the railroad crosses near the intersection of Hellwig and Billman Roads. Was a church and school there. Church is now a farm building on a nearby farm and the school is now a home.
Luna Lake – Water filled quarry in Ridge Park, Rocky Ridge. Adjutant & south of the railroad, east of Main Street. (There was another water filled quarry north of the railroad, east of Main Street that had a small pavilion next to it.)
Maple Grove – Popular social gathering place for dances, picnics, baseball games. Located on the southeast corner of Lickert-Harder Road & Duff-Washa Road. Started in the 1920s. Dance hall burned in December, 1948.
Marblehead – Area known as Marblehead as early as 1835/1840. Village of Marblehead incorporated in 1890. Early names for the Marblehead area were Port Clemons & Point Prospect. Post Office opened September 5, 1848 and closed December 31, 1964, reopening the next day as Lakeside-Marblehead Post Office.
Marblehead Junction – Name used by the LS&MS railroad for the railroad station at Danbury/Danbury Station from 1886-1904. Name changed due to confusion with the Village of Marblehead.
Martin – Unincorporated village in Clay Township. Intersection of Moline-Martin Road & Martin-Williston Road. Village founded in 1860 by John Wells who named it after his father Martin Wells. Post Office established September 25, 1856?
Meadow Brook – Pond or inlet in Danbury Township. North of Bay Shore Road between Englebeck Road & Hartshorn Road. Shown on present day maps.
Middle Bass Island – One of the 3 Sisters Islands in Lake Eire, north of Catawba Island Peninsula. Post Office established October 2, 1866 until December 31, 1918.
Middleton – On north side of railroad between Elliston & Graytown. Platted in 1872. In 1891, lot owners petitioned to vacate much of it. The Oestrich farm was known as the Middleton farm as it is part of the original plat.
Millionaire’s Row – Row of company houses that paralleled the stone loading dock in Marblehead. So named because of the availability of running water & steam heat.
Moore’s Corner – Area in Erie Township near the corner of present day Camp Perry Western Rd. and State Rte. 2. Property in SE corner pf Section 19 was owned by a Moore in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s.
Moore’s Dock – Moor’s Dock – West side of Catawba Island peninsula at end of Dock Road. State of Ohio Dock and fishing access. Just north of Sugar Rock.
Moss Island – Now known as Green Island. Noted for the strontian crystals that were mined from the 1820s to about 1898. Currently the island is a wildlife refuge.
Moscow – South side of Portage River, Section 7, Salem Township. “At the head of navigation” of the Portage River. Between Portage South Road & Harris Salem Road. (Near 4 Mile House Road) Platted in 1836 by John Morse with 190 lots including a public square. In 1841, Jonas Stafford was sole owner. Vacant by 1897. Moscow was platted directly across the river from Port Oleron and was to be a stop on the Ohio Railroad.
Mouse Island – Once known as Hat Island. Located just off the end of the Catawba Island peninsula. (Privately owned) President Rutherford B. Hayes owned island at one time and had his “Summer White House” on the island.
Nina – Post Office & group of structures in Carroll Township. Near the intersection of Toussaint East & Toussaint South Roads. Post Office December 23, 1899 to October 31, 1903.
Ninety-Nine – Stop #99 – A group of company houses that used to be on East Sand Road in Portage Township. Possibly named for a railroad stop.
North Bass Island – Once known as Isle St. George or Bass Island #3. One of the 3 Sisters Islands in Lake Erie, north of Catawba Island Peninsula. Post Office established May 25, 1864. North Bass Island State Park.
Oak Harbor – First named Hartford 1835-1863. Also had a Post Office named Ottawa from 1839 -1845 & 1848-1862. Town renamed Oak Harbor in 1863. Oak Harbor Post Office established July 19, 1862.
Ohlemacher Dock – On the end of the Marblehead Peninsula. Shipments of rock from the nearby quarry. Ferry to Sandusky for Interurban passengers 1907 to 1910.
Ottawa – Post Office for the Village of Hartford. Established in 1839 to try to stop confusion of mail delivery to another Hartford in Ohio. Ottawa Post Office 1839-1845 & 1848-1862. Not sure of Post Office name 1845-1848, possibly Hartford. (Ottawa was first Post Office established in what would become Ottawa County, February 12, 1839.)
Ottawa City – Lots platted at end of Catawba Island at Catawba Point. 1874 newspaper said “beautifully situated on Esquimaux Bay”. South of the fruit docks at Catawba Point. Esquimaux is the plural of Esquimau referring to the Eskimo or Inuit of Labordor, Canada. Ottawa City Post Office established April 17, 1852.
Peachton – Post Office on the east side of Catawba Island on or about the K’Burg property. (K’Burg Cemetery area) In 1898 it had a church, school, store, public hall, & telephone station. Post Office established June 24, 1886 until April 22, 1899.
Piccolo, Picolo, Piccola – Residential & farming area in Danbury Township. On Englebeck Road near Route 163. Post Office October 12, 1881 to November 25, 1899. Was a passenger stop/flag stop on the L&M Railroad.
Pink Elephant Curve – A sharp curve on State Route 2 in Benton Twp. near the intersection of Graytown Rd and SR 795. Once the home of a restaurant, truck stop, night club, etc. which went by various names including the Pink Elephant. Road has since been modified and no evidence of the building(s) remain.
Plasterbed – Portage Township near Sandusky Bay. Area of company houses that used to surround the United States Gypsum plant
Point Prospect – Early name for the Marblehead area. Also known as Port Clemons. Area known as Marblehead as early as 1835/1840. Village of Marblehead incorporated in 1890.
Port Clemons – Early name for the Marblehead area. Also known as Point Prospect. Area known as Marblehead as early as 1835/1840. Village of Marblehead incorporated in 1890.
Port Clinton – Founded in 1828 at the mouth of the Portage River. Named for DeWitt Clinton. Was to be the terminus of a canal from Cincinnati. Named county seat in 1840. Post Office established June 20, 1840. Interchange between the LS&MS Northern Division & the Toledo, Port Clinton & Lakeside Railway.
Port Oleron – North side of the Portage River, Section 7, Salem Township. South of and along Route 105 about 1/3 mile east from Benton-Carroll Road. Platted in 1834 with 200 lots on 57 acres. May have had several houses and a general store in the 1850’s It was directly across the river from Moscow and was to be a stop on a proposed turnpike from Lower Sandusky (Fremont) to Port Lawrence (Toledo) in 1835 which never developed.
Prairie – Rocky area, with little vegetation, in central part of eastern Danbury Township
Put-In-Bay – Post Office on South Bass Island established August 24, 1860 for the village of Put-In-Bay.
Raushean Creek – Old name and old spelling for Rusha Creek in Carroll and Erie Townships.
Rehurg – Platted subdivision shown in 1900 Ottawa County Atlas. Location? It had a Post Office July 20, 1887 to November 11, 1887. Possible east end of county or on one of the islands.
Rocky Ridge –Area first platted in 1835 by Moses Wilcox. Village started to grow in the 1850s with the building of the railroad. Lime kilns, rock quarries, timber. Post Office established August 4, 1873. Formally platted in 1874.
Rock Ledge –
Rocky Point – The area of land where the Marblehead Lighthouse is located.
Ryan’s Corner – The area around the intersection of Genoa-Clay Center Road and Williston Rd (SR 579) in Allen Township.
Ryer’s Mill – In Harris Township, 3 miles northeast of Elmore. The present day Route 590 used to be called Ryer (Ryor) Road. There was an interurban siding/station on Ryor Road in 1910
Sand Beach – Russell Road, Carroll Township. 1920s dance pavilion, beach, amusements. Destroyed by fire after WWII.
Sandy Beach – Small island resort beach area on the Marblehead Peninsula with swimming, picnic area, hiking, and some cottages. Became part of East Harbor State Park beach in 1945.
Scott’s Point – On Catawba Island, east of Miller Boat Dock.
Sheldon – In Benton Township, south of the railroad, near Middleton. Platted in 1872. The old part of the Elliston Cemetery is part of Sheldon. The present road between the old and new cemeteries was once called the Elmore, Benton & Fenchtown Road.
Smokey Row – A double row of company houses near Plasterbed. From Sandusky Bay, north to the railroad.
South Bass Island – One of the 3 Sisters Islands in Lake Erie north of Catawba Island Peninsula. Village of Put-In-Bay is on the island.
Spit Island – Shown on circa 1860 map during high water period. Now is Bay Point.
Starve Island – Said to be named for a sailor who starved to death on the island.
Stony Station – First name of Genoa. Was to be changed to Venice, but due to a clerical error Stony Station became Genoa in 1857.
Sugar Island – NW of Middle Bass Island. Amusement park, beach, pavilion. 1900s.
Sugar Rock – High rocky land on west side of Catawba Island, south of the State of Ohio fishing access. (Moor’s Dock – Moore’s Dock)
Rattlesnake Island – Named for the shape of the island and the snakes that once were found on the island. Area islands mentioned as early as 1792 by French historical writings as the Viper Islands.
Ryan’s Corner – The intersection of Williston Rd (SR 579) and Genoa-Clay Center Roads in Allen Twp. Had a school and later a gas station run by a woman with the interesting name of Spittin Sadie.
The Rapids – Area of the Portage River thought to be between Oak Harbor & Elmore. Wooden rail line went north, 2-3 miles to access the timber growth.
Three Mile Crossing – A rail road crossing on SR 163 about 3 miles west of Port Clinton. The scene of many serious accidents especially when SR 163 ran parallel to the tracks.
Three Sisters Islands – Early name for the bass islands in Lake Erie north of the Catawba Island Peninsula. Now known as North Bass, Middle Bass, South Bass.
Toussaint – Name given the area around the Toussaint River, especially near Routes 19 & 2. Post Office established January 4, 1882. Post Office for Carroll Township in 1899 was on Duff-Washa Road.
Triangular – Small town laid out just prior to 1837 in Bay Township (Sandusky County). Mentioned in 1837 Ohio Gazetteer.
Trowbridge – First named Eber. On Elliston-Trowbridge Road, north of Trowbridge Road at the single track railroad track. Post Office as Trowbridge opened August, 1888.
Union Hall – a dance hall/general store along Portage River South Rd between Gordon Rd and Muddy Creek North Rd. in Section 11 of Salem Township.
Van Rensellaer Township – Present Catawba Island Township
Velliquette – A Carroll Township Post Office, 1893-1894, on Lemon Road. Also possible location on corner of Duff-Washa & Route 19 in later years.
Venice – Stony Station was to be renamed Venice. Due to clerical error, the name was never recorded and Stony Station became Genoa.
Vine Ridge – Harbor Road, Danbury Township. First Post Master on January 24, 1876 was Albert Pettibone. Was a Post Office to at least 1880.
Violet – Residential & farming area in Danbury Township. On Church Road, south of Port Clinton Eastern Road. Was a passenger stop/flag stop on the L&M Railroad. An interchange point between the T,PC &L interurban and the Lakeside & Marblehead Railroad was here. May have had its own Post Office.
Warsaw – Thought to be on the Portage River, several miles east of Oak Harbor?
Webb’s Station – Clay Township? Was mentioned in 1897 news from Genoa.
White City – Also known as Little Pittsburgh. On the east side of Catawba Island on the shoreline northeast of Peachton. Summer retreat for Pittsburgh families.
White Rock – Area in Allen Twp. along Trowbridge Rd along and between Genoa-Clay Center Roads and Trowbridge Rd. and Bolander Rd. Today the north end of the Clay Center quarry. White Rock school was at the corner of Trowbridge and Genoa-Clay Center Roads.
Whitestown – North side of Portage River, about 2 ½ miles east of Elmore. About where Elliston-Trowbridge Road intersects with Route 105. Rymer Farm area. Named after George White (Whight), survey engineer of the Ohio Railroad, with hopes of it being a station on the Ohio Railroad. It had a Post Office from 1839-1852. Whitestown was 1 mile west of Leatherport.
Williston – Founded in 1882 along the W&LE Railroad by Fitch Dewey of the Dewey Stone Company. Original town site was west of Martin-Williston Road and north of Route 579 (Williston Road). Would later “annex” the town of Yale. Williston Post Office opened October 27, 1882.
Willow Swamp – Area in Genoa near the corner of Main Street & Route 163.
Yale – Founded in 1882 along the W&LE Railroad by James Thorp who named Yale after his son. North of and adjacent to Williston on both sides of the railroad. Would later become part of Williston.
Zion City – Danbury Township/Marblehead area. Near Crusher D. A residential area for quarry workers.
Sources: Grace Luebke –Ottawa County Shadow Towns & Towns That Never Were
Ottawa County Genealogical Society – History of Ottawa County, Ohio & Its Families
Richard Martin – Ghost Towns On The Portage
John Liske – Personal Local History Files
Richard Taylor – Personal knowledge
June 9, 2019 – John Liske and Richard Martin